Make a Difference Teaching English in Guatemala
AVAILABLE: (1) Program Coordinator, (1) English Teacher
Teaching English in the Montessori-based UPAVIM schools in Guatemala. A one year minimum commitment is required, although in the past mmany volunteers have stayed a second year once they are settle in.
Aquiring skill with the English language is becoming increasingly important for success in the Guatemalan education system and beyond, therefore exposure to it early in life is imperative. English is becoming a requirement in 7th grade for all Guatemalan students. This program therefore gives them the head start they need to excel when they move on to junior high. It is part of our alternative school curriculum, and Native English speakers are always hired to teach this as a paid employee of UPAVIM.
In 2013 UPAVIM is expanding the English Program to include a full-day bilingual immersion program. This program will expose the children to English from an early age providing them with a greater opportunity towards gaining fluency. In addition to teaching English Language concepts the program will focus on science and math. This program will expose the children to an interactive form of the subjects where the children learn through games and hands on experiments. Additionally, the program will increase the childrens’ in school time from 25 hours a week to 40 hours a week. This extra time gives them a safe and nurturing environment to learn and escape from the dangers in the neighborhood streets. The UPAVIM Bilingual Immersion Program will create options and opportunities for the students that are unimaginable to their parents.
The original English program at UPAVIM was started by one of our dedicated volunteers, Madeleine Anderson. We are all grateful to her for this important initiative that will improve so many children’s opportunities throughout their lives.
A volunteer / intern will work 8 hours daily, 8am to 4:00pm, 5 days a week, and be responsible for developing curriculum and teaching children in the Alternative Education Center at UPAVIM. The volunteer would teach in the “Montessori I” program (25 children ages 3-5) and the school (Montessori Method-Based) Elementary School, K-6th graders (ages 6-11). In the afternoons, the volunteer is responsible for working on lesson plans and teaching youth and women.
Free housing is available in the UPAVIM building with midday meals M-F, possible stipend of $200/month (Food costs range around $100/month depending on what you like to eat).
UPAVIM will work with students and university administration to develop a plan for those who want to receive school credit.
Please do not apply unless you have a minimum of intermediate level spoken and written Spanish; and formal training in teaching English as a second language. Also, the ability to live and work effectively in an impoverished urban area is essential.
Experience in teaching with Montessori methods; community service working with children; experience working with Latino communities.
POSITION TITLE: English Program Coordinator
Approximate Startup: September 2013 with a minimum of a 15 month commitment.
Responsibilities will include:
- Oversee and provide trainings for second Native English Speaking Teacher, Guatemalan English Teacher, Guatemalan Reading teacher and Guatemalan Science and Math teacher.
- Maintain and improve upon established curriculum.
- Maintain tracking system that follows each student’s progress.
- Teach morning English classes to grades 2nd-6th in UPAVIM CAA elementary school that focuses on reading and phonics.
- Partner with with cooperative consejo representative to maintain consejo’s involvement and knowledge of the English Program.
- Maintain contact with English Program Development Team via Skype and email.
- Assist in the hiring and training of replacement English Program Coordinator.
POSITION TITLE: English Teacher
Approximate Startup: January 2014 with a minimum of a 10 month commitment.
Responsibilities will include:
- Teach morning classes in our Montesorri Styled Early Childhood Program ages 3-5.
- Teach afternoon classes to grades 2nd- 6th at UPAVIM CAA elementary school that focuses on speaking and conversation
- Maintain tracking system of each child’s progress
- Assist English Program Coordinator in the maintaining and improvement of established curriculum.
Please complete the application found below and send it to us at the address below.
EMAIL APPLICATION TO:
upavim*itelgua.com ( Please add the Subject Line: “English Teacher Application” )