Make a Difference Teaching English in Guatemala
POSITION TITLE: English Teacher
Approximate Startup: January 2018 with a minimum of a 10 month commitment.
Teaching English in the UPAVIM school in Guatemala. A one year minimum commitment is required, although in the past many volunteers have stayed a second year once they are settle in.
A highly motivated English teacher is needed for January 2018. The teacher will teach conversational ESL classes: two hours in the morning and two hours in the afternoon. Other responsibilities include eating lunch with one of the grades, lesson planning, material preparation, and grading and assessment. The English teacher will work full-time Monday-Friday based upon the Guatemalan school schedule. The goal for the position is to teach students how to express and understand concepts in English while also encouraging a passion for learning. This is an excellent opportunity to teach English abroad and take part in the transformation of this community.
In 2002 UPAVIM’s school was established to offer the children of La Esperanza and neighboring communities a nurturing, stimulating and inspiring atmosphere to learn and grow. An English Program was launched in 2008 which incorporated a half hour of English into the 5-hour school day. In 2013, the program expanded and now consists of 30 minutes of English immersion classes for the Montessori pre-school and 2 hours of English immersion classes for grades K-6. This program not only broadens the future education and employment opportunities of UPAVIM’s children, but it also increased the school day to 8 hours, keeping students away from the gang violence that is present on the streets of La Esperanza. The original English program at UPAVIM was started by one of our dedicated volunteers, Madeleine Anderson. We are all grateful to her for this important initiative that will improve so many children’s opportunities throughout their lives.
Experience in teaching with Montessori methods; community service working with children; experience working with Latino communities.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Speak, read and write fluently in English
- Speak, read and write at an intermediate level in Spanish
- Desire to live and work in an impoverished urban area
- Patient and adaptable to change
- Minimal commitment of 10 months (January 2018 – October 2018), Preferred commitment of 13 months (August 2017 – October 2018, January 2018 – October 2018)
- Teaching experience preferred
- TESOL/TEFL training and experience working with children preferred
- Free housing
- Lunch from the UPAVIM kitchen Monday through Friday
- Monthly living stipend
Responsibilities will include:
- Teach morning classes in our Montessori Styled Early Childhood Program ages 3-5.
- Teach afternoon classes to grades 2nd- 6th at UPAVIM CAA elementary school that focuses on speaking and conversation
- Maintain tracking system of each child’s progress
- Assist English Program Coordinator in the maintaining and improvement of established curriculum.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Please complete the application found below and send it to us at the address below.
EMAIL APPLICATION TO:
volunteerupavim*gmail.com ( Please add the Subject Line: “English Teacher Application” )